Monday, September 23, 2013

Another Bike to the Bay completed... well 1/2 way

So oever the years I have learned its more fun to bike 75 down, have a nice dinner and a few beers, get up the next day and ride back in a car! LOL! Some years, I still bike both ways... not this one. And I was good with that! I used the 75 down for training. I LOVE my bike team, but I wanted to go fast this year as I need the training before October's 1/2 iron. SOOO, I rode alone, without stopping, straight to lunch (mile 40). Did well too! Averaged 18 miles per hour! After a lunch stop, I stopped again 9 miles later but only b/c the food at lunch was blah... and the mext stop had chicken kabobs! The wind really pikced up after lunch. Around mile 50, I hooked on the back of a pace team... NRG was the team name. I was kinda coating in the back but figured if I passed them, they would catch me in that wind as I would be working alone. After a while tho, I was concerned the guy in the back was annoyed I was tagging along (I learned later he was not at all) so I took off. I passed the team at about 21-22 miles per hour and I kept that up for 4-5 miles until I turned into a wind "wall." Dropped to 13 MPH in no time and they caught me. BUT, they invited me to join them and the rest of the way, I rode with the pack. It was great. Finished all 75 miles with a 17.1 MPH average. Arrived in Dewey at 1:40, three HOURS before the rest of my team! Felt pretty good!!!! Eric, you are tearing up the running! 8.3??? Awesome! This weather really helps, huh?

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had such a great day...Roby said you had injured a rib or that area and had some trouble breathing (but biking was okay). Given your performance, it obviously did not bother you. Hope it clears up before your tri. I got in about 7 miles Sunday and did 6.7 today. I'm lovin' this weather. I have not seen an entry form yet for 'E-racing the Blues 10K' . Wondering if they are going to stage it this year. Last couple years they have had some rotten luck with the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is that 5k? I did pull the intercostal muscles between my ribs... no idea how, but deep breaths hurt... even still a week later :-( No treatment but ibuprofen and rest .... I dont do rest well! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a weight lifting injury to me. Not much you can do for it except stay away from comedy shows so you don't laugh too much! Tired legs. Yesterday I hiked 4.3 miles in a park up near West Grove, did 46 minutes on the bike, and had Tai Chi class last night. Today I had a Tai Chi private lesson (and a tough set with lots of standing on one leg) and just finished 6.8. So, tired legs! But I think I might make a 100 mile month this month. Hope so. Did you mean the e-Racing the Blues (10K -there is also a 5K associated with it). It's at the riverfront center. Benefits DE Assoc for Mental Health. I run it on a team for our friend that runs the 'Tideline' gift shop in Lantana Square. She is on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo...just finished a strong 6.9 miler to make my 100 mile month....I was surprised at how strong I felt given I didn't really feel that well to start. But it is a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll give myself a 6.6 run this morning. I hate morning running. For some reason really weak today and actually had to a walk a little bit. Humidity might have something to do with it as well but I think I'm carrying a sinus infection in there someplace. Just haven't felt real strong for awhile. Off to Coverdale this afternoon to put up tents for the Harvest Moon Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally got back out today for 6.8. Felt pretty decent but it is still humid and the heat is building a little bit. Didn't have trouble with the run though. Sun is not so intense so it is doable. You should be getting ready to head south shortly shouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knowing that we are getting a couple days of poor weather, and needing to get my 4th day in this week, I did 6.9 this morning. But the humidity just sucked the air out of me this afternoon. It's a good thing we don't have much planned today because I'm bushed. Hoping for a little comeback later.

    ReplyDelete