Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I have a computer again!

And a lot has happened since I disappeared. 3 words... Marine Corp Marathon! Done! Finito! Completed! I wasnt fast, but I kept moving forward. 5 hours, 3 mins and 58 seconds. I have only done one other marathon, Marine Corp in 2006, and this year was 13 minutes slower. But I am OK with that! This time, I actually saw the sites I ran by. WIth the injuries I have had this year, I made a conscious decision to forget time and simply focus on finishing.... but finishing having enjoyed the experience. When I saw my family and friends, who walked about 7 miles throughout the day to cheer me on, I paused for a few and shared the experience with them. When I ran past monuments, I looked. And when I wanted to curse the world and quit between miles 21 and 26, I remembered friends I have lost this year, friends that lost their health this year and all those marines and all the other service men and women..... And I kept going! Not fast, but foward! What a fantastic experience!

7 comments:

  1. Finished a good week of 28 miles, most of it this weekend. For a busy schedule, that's good. It is so great being out in this fall weather and the trees are awesume right now. Hope you have gotten back out and no ill effects from the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like my training program is going to take a little setback. Diagnosed today with a detached retina and waiting for somebody to call me to give me my appointment time for Will's Eye Hospital tomorrow. Imagine I won't be allowed to do too much which will jar my head around for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, this has been great fun. Returned from Philly last night about 10:30. Almost 12 hours to get this done. Definitely am out of the running loop for a couple weeks I'd guess. Don't feel too bad but looking through a bubble of gas they placed in my eye, 4 sets of drops 4 times a day. Right now vision in my left eye is 20/400 but it should improve over time and the gas bubble should desolve (or whatever it does) in about 2 weeks. It is designed to hold the retina against the eyeball so it can heal back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slowly progressing here. Obviously I have not gone out to run, or even walk for that matter. One of the 4 eye drop solutions dialates my eye so I can't deal too long outside in bright sunshine. Needless to say I didn't go to the UDel game yesteray. My sight actually has improved a little in damaged eye. I can at least hold my fingers up and count them! But of course my eye is dialated all day so even if it was a lot better I still would have a focusing issue. Doubt I'll be doing much running until I actually get clearance from the surgeon. If this was at all caused by the jarring of running I want to make sure it is all the way healed before I go out again seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on Marine Corps!!! What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  6. U have a computer, but are u using it?..have laid low since surgery and will see what the surgeon says when I have my follow up visit on Monday. Hopefully I can get back on track but where I am confident testing sore muscles and sprains but running, I have no clue how activity will impact the eye. So, we'll see what he says. If I can't get back to full steam for a while I may bag the CR this year. But depends on whether I can resume full workouts, how soon, and what the weather will allow me to do. 2013 is he 50th anniversary of the CR. I really want to do that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news from the surgin. Retina is re-attached and no fluid found behind it. Cleared to start arobic exercise a little. Will start with the nice weather tomorrow but probably keep it under 5 miles.

    ReplyDelete